INGREDIENTS: 2 carrots, 2 turnips, 1 small marrow,1 leek (or onion), 1 potato,1 stick celery, 1 clove garlic, 20 g butter, salt pepper, 1 litre water, 2 sprigs parsley
1.Peel and wash all the vegetables, slice them.
2.Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the vegetables.
3.Cook for 4 to 5 minutes on a low heat, stirring continuously.
4.Add salt and pepper and pour in 1 litre of very hot water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 25 minutes.
5.Chop the parsley in the mill and sprinkle over soup just before serving.
6.Add a spoon of fresh cream.
Salad Herring in Shuba (Russian dish)
(Селёдка «под шубой»)
INGREDIENTS: 2 thick salted herrings, 5 potatoes, 4 carrots, 3 beets, 1
small onion, 300 g mayonnaise, parsley and dill.
1. Boil vegetables until they are fork tender. Boil eggs hard.
2. Peel skin from herrings, cut them along the spine removing the bones. Cut
herring meat into little pieces checking for bones.
3. Grind potatoes, carrots and beets.
4. On a big round plate, place a layer of potatoes (whole portion), then spread mayonnaise evenly on top in a thin layer.
5. Then make a layer of beets using 1/2 of the beets, then a layer 1/2 of the carrots, 1/2 of the chopped onion and then– pieces of herring meat spreading mayonnaise evenly on top of each layer.
6. Place a layer of the remaining onion, a thin layer of mayonnaise, then a layer of remaining carrots, a thin layer of mayonnaise and finally the remaining beets.
7. On top pour the remaining mayonnaise.
8. Let it soaked overnight.
9. Decorate the dish with chopped parsley and dill.
10.Serve as a salad in its own right, or as an accompaniment to a main meal.
Ingredients: Dough, 1 package active dry yeast, 1 cup warm water, 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, beef, salt, pepper.
1. Add yeast to the water and stir until dissolved.
2. Add sugar, oil, flour, and salt.
3. Put mixing bowl filled with dough in warm water for 5 minutes to rise.
4. Pat dough out on a well-greased cookie sheet or pizza pan or.
5. Lay toppings on dough in order listed.
6. Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes.
INGREDIENTS: 1/2 litre milk,5 egg yolks,80 g sugar, 50 g cocoa,100 g fresh cream
1. Heat up the milk. Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl.
2. Pour in a little boiling-hot milk, beating all the time, then pour in the rest of the milk and blend.
3. Return the mixture to the saucepan and leave to thicken, stirring continuously.
4. Do not allow the cream to boil.
5. Once it coats the back of the spoon it is cooked. Leave to cool for a while. Add the cocoa and whip the mixture.
6. Add the fresh cream and whip again.
7. Leave the cream to cool before pouring into the ice-cream churn for freezing.
INGREDIENTS : 125 g castor sugar, 4 eggs, 1 vanilla pod, 15 g melted butter (optional), 50 g flour, 50 g cornflour, 50 g flaked almonds
1. Preheat the oven at 180°C. Grease the tin and dust with flour. Cover the base with flaked almonds.
2. Whip the egg yolks in a bowl.
3. Add 110 g sugar and the inside of the vanilla pod. Mix in the butter, the flour and cornflour, then beat to obtain an even mixture. Put the bowl aside.
4. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff, adding 15 g of sugar when halfway through beating.
5. Fold the eggs whites lightly into the mixture.
6. Put the mixture straight into the tin and bake for 30 minutes.
7. Leave to cool a while before turning out.
Traditional Christmas Pudding
(Традиционный английский пудинг)
INGREDIENTS: l lb (500 g) raisins, l lb (500 g) currants, l lb (500 g) golden raisins, l lb (500 g) breadcrumbs, l lb (500 g) brown sugar, 8oz (230 g) suet, 4oz (100 g) mixed peel, 4oz (100 g) glace cherries chopped, 4oz (100 g) almonds chopped, 1 lemon (grate rind), 1 orange (grate rind), 1 carrot – grated, 1 apple – grated, 1 tsp mixed spice, 1 tbs sifted flour, pinch salt, 6-8 eggs, 10oz (280 g) stout (bottle) or dark beer (or 5 ozs (140 g) brandy & 5 ozs milk).