Higher education is generally recognized as preparing individuals to realize more fully their human potential, enrich their understanding of life and make them more productive to society.
Future specialists in various fields of science, technology, economies and art get a fundamental general and specialized training, all students regardless of their specialty study foreign languages.
Apart from educational work and schooling Ukrainian higher schools carry out a great deal of scientific work in all branches of knowledge. They have either a students’ research Society (Club) or a Technological Design Bureau which provide excellent facilities for young researches.
Our country needs specialists in all fields of science and all branches of industry and agriculture. Institutes exist not only in big cities like Kyiv, Kharkiv, Lviv, but in many towns of Ukraine like Irpin.
Higher educational establishments of our country fall into three main types. The first type includes the universities and institutes where there are only full-time students, which receive state grants. Students who do not live at home get accommodation in the hostels.
The second and third types of higher schools provide educational facilities for factory and office workers who combine work with studies. The second type of higher education in establishments includes evening faculties and evening higher schools for those who study in their spare time.
The third type covers extra-mural higher schools where students take correspondence courses. Every year extra-mural students receive from 30 to 40 days’ leave to prepare for their exams.
The diplomas by the evening faculties and extra-mural higher schools have the same value as the diplomas of all other institutes and universities.
The period of study at higher schools is from 4 to 6 years. According to the subjects studied there exist three groups of higher schools’ universities, polytechnic and specialized institutes.
1. to realize more fully their human potential – повніше реалізувати людський – потенціал
2. to enrich their understanding of life – їхнє розуміння життя
3. in various fields – в різних сферах
4. regardless of – незважаючи на
5. apart from – поряд з
6. a great deal of scientific work – великий обсяг наукової роботи
7. to provide excellent facilities – забезпечувати відмінні умови
8. higher educational establishment – вищий навчальний заклад
9. full-time students – студенти стаціонару
10. to receive state grants – одержувати державні пільги
11. to combine work with studies – поєднувати роботу з навчанням
12. to take correspondence courses – навчатися заочно
13. to receive a leave – отримувати відпустку
14. according to – відповідно до